How to keep your Swindon home safe for children

Posted on

Children are bundles of energy, who love to run, jump, touch and taste. Unfortunately, sometimes this curiosity can lead to accidents at home.

Each year, about 450,000 children aged under five attend A&E due to an accident at home*.

To coincide wth Child Safety Week, the Child Accident Prevention Trust has some handy advice for parents and caregivers.

Button batteries 

These small lithium batteries, found in household products like calculators, remote controls, watches and toys, are about the size of a 5p coin – and can be very dangerous.

If a child swallows a battery and it gets stuck in their food pipe, the result can be catastrophic. The battery can cause internal bleeding, life-changing injuries and even death. (About two children die each year after swallowing lithium coin cell batteries.)

Safety tips

- Always store coin cell/button batteries safely out of reach of babies and children.

- Ensure that the battery compartment on all gadgets is fully secure.

- For peace of mind, consider getting rid of any children’s toys that contain these batteries.

- Teach older children about the dangers and urge them to be vigilant around their younger siblings.

Prevent burns

Burns are a common household injury, particularly among toddlers who often grab or touch items like hot drinks, saucepans and kettles. Other common household hazards include hair straighteners and hot bathwater.

Safety tips

- Never leave hot drinks, a kettle, or cooking pans near the edge of a table or countertop.

- Don’t turn your back or walk away from a hot stove.

- Hair straighteners can stay hot for 15 minutes after use, so don’t leave them lying around.

- At bath time, run the cold water first and then top it up with hot water. Test the water temperature (using your elbow) before putting your child in.

- Never leave a child unattended near a bath with water in it.

Accidental poisoning

These days, laundry and cleaning products are designed to stand out on supermarket shelves so they often come in bright and shiny packaging that appeals to little ones. As a result, children sometimes mistake washing tablets for sweets and cleaning products for drinks – with serious consequences. About 25,000 children wind up in A&E each year with suspected accidental poisoning.

Safety tips 

- Keep cleaning and laundry products up high. You could also store them in a lockable cupboard, but you must never forget to close and lock it properly

- Buy products that contain Bitrex, a bitter-tasting agent that is so repulsive children spit it out immediately, stopping them from ingesting the substance.

For more safety tips, visit capt.org.uk. From all of us here at Home Finders, stay safe and thanks for reading.

*UK Health Security Agency

 

Free Instant
Online Valuation.

We offer a FREE instant online property valuation for properties across Swindon and the surrounding area. Enter your postcode for an indication of what your property is worth. You can also get a lettings valuation to see what rental you can achieve for your rental property.

More

Here at Home Finders we use cookies to:
- improve our website performance;
- help you share our content across your social media networks; and
- personalise our advertisements to you.

To accept our cookies please click the button below, or for further details and the chance to specify your cookie preferences please click ‘more information’.

You can change your preferences at any time by visiting the “Cookies Preferences” page, which can be found via our footer. View our Privacy and Cookies policies for full details.